Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Venture Concept No. 1

This week, I am writing my venture concept.  In this, I will be addressing three main areas: Opportunity, Innovation, and finally the venture concept.

Opportunity

The first area I am addressing is the opportunity I see and am trying to profit on.  In case you aren’t familiar with my product, for clarity’s sake I will go ahead and briefly describe it.  I am making a retractable phone charger that emphasizes a durable cable.  When I asked myself who has this need, the answer was quite simple: anyone with a cell phone.  You don’t have to do much research to know that is quite a large market, and therefore, a huge opportunity.  When I interviewed people about this idea, almost all of them said it was something that they would spend money on.  First, I just asked people about charger cord length.  That was something that an overwhelming majority of the people I talked to had an issue with.  However, the issue of cord durability kept coming up as well.  That was when I decided to focus on making a durable cord as well.  This brings us to the next segment.

Innovation

There are several products on the market currently that have certain characteristics of my product, but nothing that puts all the elements together like I will.  For example, I found a retractable car charger that was only $6.  However, people complained that it broke easily, sometimes never worked, had a very flimsy cord, and just did not seem like it was very well made.  I also found a company that sells durable, long iPhone charger cords.  They sell for about $18, and their reviews are fantastic.  They last a long time, the cord length is excellent, the design on the braded cords is flawless, and they seem to work very well.  However, this company does not offer any cords that are retractable.  With my product, I would like to take positives from both.  I want a charger that is retractable, but I do not want to sacrifice quality of the cord in order to do so.  I don’t know for sure what price I will set on it yet.  However, I think it could be very competitive with a price somewhere around $20.  Eventually, I would be happy licensing my product out to a larger company, but I want to do my own manufacturing and sales in the beginning. 

Venture Concept


The first part of the venture concept I want to talk about is resources.  There are many valuable resources at my company’s disposal.  I talked at length about these in the “secret sauce” blog post recently.  In my opinion, the most valuable resource or opportunity for me is the sheer size of the market.  There are so many people that have cell phones.  Not only that, but tablets, music players, and other devices need charging as well.  It is also a growing market as well.  For the first time, people are using mobile devices to search the internet more than computers.  As you can imagine, this drains battery quickly.  Our product offers a longer cord to make using your phone more convenient while it is charging.  When I look at the near future for this product, the obvious next step to me is to look into car chargers.  After that, we could look into other applications for our retractable technology.  As long as we can get a patent, we can put our technology on other things as well.  This brings me to asking what the next step is for me.  I would love to get a patent on the charger.  That would give me all kinds of options.  The one that pops out to me is actually selling my product to a larger company.  I could keep some equity in the company, have a royalty, or if the offer was good enough, sell the entire thing.  This would allow me to continue investing and growing new products and ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    I think your idea is the most brilliant one yet! It is unique and inventive and has not been done before. A retractable phone charger would not only keep the chord protected while being transported, but also eliminate the hassle of getting your pens and pencils tangled up in the chord in your backpack. Check out my idea at http://palombiblogs.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,

    I love your idea and would absolutely benefit from a durable, retractable charging cord. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted on buying new cords and cubes for my phone to charge, all while they break so frequently. I think your price point is perfect and is right along with competition as well. I also think you should absolutely patent this invention because it will sell quickly and you don't want people catching on. Overall great idea! Here is my venture concept if you have time to check it out. http://entrepreneurshipleslie.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,

    I love the concept of retractable cords so I very much like what you are proposing. Adding the element of a durable cord is icing on the cake. I am surprised that your research did not indicate more companies that are doing this so you may be onto a great pent up demand opportunity. Good luck with it. Take a look at my venture concept post at http://taleemreflections.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html. Thanks.

    Farrukh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,

    I like your idea, because I think long cables are super annoying. However, there are already retractable and durable phone chargers out there, what makes yours so different? I would like to purchase something that stands out to me. However, I would have to say that our products are similar in the sense that we are both attempting to reach out to everyone and not limit ourselves to a certain demographic. Please take a look at my blog when you get the chance!

    http://ufentlaurenday.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete