This week, I will briefly examine what I think the main selling points of my product are. Then I will try to determine what is next for my company. The support for my product idea has been overwhelmingly positive. People love the idea of a retractable phone charger, and almost everyone seems to have issues with cord durability. The combination of durability and retractability should make my product a winner.
When I think about what the next step should be, there is an obvious choice: car chargers. In fact, a few of the people that I interviewed several weeks ago mentioned that they would be interested in that as well. I went to amazon to find a product like this. The one I found is made by EpicDealz. It is incredibly affordable, but it has some mixed reviews. Many people said that they loved it, and it really made their lives easier. They loved the price (only $6) and that it avoided tangled cords and a mess. However, some people had problems with it. Several people reported that they simply couldn't get it to work. While others said that they cord seemed very flimsy and breakable. Here is a picture of the charger.
I like the design just fine, but I would make a few changes. The main thing that would have to be different is durability. That is going to be one of the main selling points of my products, so I can't afford to have people complaining about the frailty of the cord. I think a car charger line makes a lot of sense for my company. It seems like an easy way to expand our brand without having to differentiate production and branding too much.

Hi Ryan! I used to have a car charger which allowed me to retract the cable in and out but like some of the reviews mentioned, it seemed very flimsy. The cable was thin and easily tangled up if I did not retract it back in. I have not seen one specifically for apple phones. Many cars these days have usb ports or specific outlets to put their lighting cabe in. I think you have a great idea but you should think about what benefits this gives your customer to cause a shift from what they have been using to your potential next product in the line. Great post!
ReplyDeletehttp://andreasentspace.blogspot.com/2016/03/amazon-whisperer.html
-Andrea
Hi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI love the idea, I think having a retractable phone charger would help a lot, not only because it's convenient, but also it reduces cord clutter, which has always bothered me. One problem I see with your idea is I think it's already been done before, I'm not sure about regular phone chargers, but if they already made retractable car chargers, they probably make regular ones too. I agree that upgrading the quality of the car charger is an easy way of differenciating the product without changing it too much. Check out my post at http://zanesufblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/amazon-whisperer.html