This week I had to contact 3 experts in the field in which my product is located. Below is information about each of the "experts" and what they had to offer me. I found all of the companies I contacted the same way. I looked online for companies who focused a large part of their business on selling phone chargers. Then I emailed them, and I asked them what they thought about my idea and if they had anything similar.
1. Charge Cords
Charge Cords is a company that specializes in durable, long-lasting electronics. Specifically, chargers. They fill the role of "domain expert." That is, someone who is engaged in the same type of activity I'd like to be. They cater to a niche market, those wanting longer, more durable charger cords. Charge cords does not carry retractable cords. All of their cords are 5 feet in length, and they are made from the original Apple cables. They just add two feet of length and wrap it in a protective casing. They like my idea, even though they don't carry anything similar. I learned about their process and that it's definitely possible to make my product.
2. Anker
Anker is a little bit more diverse than Charge Cords. They not only carry cords, but they also sell things like: portable, car, and USB chargers, audio cables, speakers, and headphones. They are my market expert. I emailed them, and they too liked the idea of my product, but weren't aware of the specifics needed to manufacture it. There are lots of things that go into making a product. They aren't sure what exactly I would need to involve to be competitive, but they agreed that quality and durability were very important.
3. Recoil Winders
Since 2012, Recoil Winders have been helping solve the problem that I identified. They created a product that helps keep cords untangled. It can be used for charger cords, headphones, and USB cords. They like my idea, but they prefer their method of having a product one can use for multiple different cords. They did agree that some cords (like iPhone cables) can still fray and break over time, but that is attributed to the poor quality of the cable, not their product. In order for me to have success, they said my cable would have to be of very good quality, not just retract.
This assignment really pushed me to research and reach out to people I normally wouldn't have. I feel like it helped me grow, and it showed me that sometimes you really do just have to ask for someone's help.
No comments:
Post a Comment