Sunday, April 17, 2016

Google Gold

This semester I practiced search engine optimization.  Some of the things I did included using similar phrasing, wording things in a consistent manner from post to post, and trying to use my keywords often.  This brings me to the subject of keywords.  Early in the semester, my keywords were: retractable, phone, and charger.  I added the word "durable" a few weeks later to help narrow the search.  I didn't do a particularly stellar job of using social media with my blog.  I don't use it very much myself, and I probably didn't put enough of an emphasis on it.  My most viral post was actually my "Half-way reflection" post.  I don't understand why it was, but it wasn't even a close race.  That post had over 6 times the number of views as my second most viewed post did (133 to 21).  Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to the front page of Google.  In fact, I was unable to locate it on any of the pages unless I searched for "durable retractable phone charger" in quotes.

"Gold coins." by Anthony Joh.  https://flic.kr/p/27RBCn

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan! That's really interesting you received over 130 views on one of your posts. I think the most I got was about 20 (which seems to be your average too). That's cool though! Want kind of words in that post were different to the words in others? Maybe you used more popular words that are constantly searched for and your blog just came up quite a bit for people. Check out my post here: http://analeisent3003.blogspot.com/2016/04/week-14-google-gold.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan!
    You definitely grasped this concept better than myself! I'm glad to hear that you achieved over 130 views on a singular post, and it seems that you have learned the appropriate skills to optimizing. Don't worry about not making it to the front page, I don't believe any of us did. It was more of a distant goal and it's challenging to go against paid advertising. http://loganbrownuf.blogspot.com/2016/04/google-gold.html Come check out my blog if you have the chance.

    ReplyDelete