Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure

This week's post is a celebration of failure.  The example I have chosen to examine is from this semester.  However, it is from a different class.  There is a group project in my international business class, and it lasts the length of the semester.  We had 3 practice rounds at the beginning of the semester.  My team and I felt very confident going into the first practice round.  We had our product's specifications and finances completely figured out... Or so we thought.  After the results were published, we found ourselves in dead last, and it wasn't even close.  From that last place start, I learned not to get too overconfident.  My team made lots of adjustments, and when the real round rolled around, we did much better!  Personally, I hate failure.  I think that I hate losing more than I enjoy winning.  However, I am trying to get better at taking my failures and learning from them.  Failure can actually be an incredibly useful tool.  But you have to approach it with the proper mindset of bettering yourself.  Otherwise, failure can eat you alive and bring you down.  This class has taught me not to be afraid of failure.  There have been many assignments that I really did not want to do.  I felt uncomfortable doing them, and I almost just wanted to skip it and move on.  However, I pushed myself to do everything, and I think I am better for it.

Fail Early, Fail Fast, Fail Often.  by Aaron Davis.  https://flic.kr/p/r4Y3pr

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ryan!
    Thanks for sharing your "failure." I think we have all been in the position where we think we are doing good, but in reality we are really the worst. I agree that you should not be over confident, but that does not mean that you shouldn't have any confidence at all! If you would like to check out my blog feel free! http://dillondunn.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2-dillon-dunn.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan,
    We've all been there; thinking our exam, project, or paper is the bomb and we find out that we tanked it. Failure like that doesn't come easy, but like you obviously did, you can learn from it to improve upon next time. Even though you may hate failure, it can be bittersweet enough to provide enough benefit to offset what you lost. Keep on keeping on. http://loganbrownuf.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete