Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Twenty Percent

This week, I spoke to Mike Dougherty, owner of the Burger Barn in Hawthorne, FL.  He was too busy to do an in-person interview, so he gave me his cell number, and we talked on the phone.  I will list the questions and answers below.

Q: How long has the Burger Barn been open?
A: We opened it in 1982 and have been going strong ever since.

Q: What are your target customers?
A: Anyone who enjoys a good burger.  But mainly, we like to have families come through and enjoy the experience here.

Q: What are some unmet needs your customers have that you try to help them meet?
A: We try to provide a tasty, affordable burger.  So I guess you could say we meet the needs of hunger and affordability.

Q: Where do you find your customers?
A: I'd say most people are pretty much local.  We are one of the few burger places around, so that's who mostly comes here.

Q: What are your customer's demographics.
A: Oh, we get a pretty wide variety.  But mainly, it's people who need something quick or families who are coming to sit down.

Q: Last question for you: What kind of media do your customers consume?
A: Oh, I don't know.  I would guess the main ones.  Twitter and Facebook probably.  We have a page on Facebook that gets pretty good reviews, so I would assume that's where most of our new customers come from.


I then interviewed 3 customers.  I would say that the owner has dead-on knowledge about the demographics.  There was always a solid line at the drive-thru, and several families went to the walk-up counter to order. However, none of the people I talked to mentioned seeing their facebook page.  They heard from Yelp and word of mouth.  Other than that, mr. Dougherty was very accurate.  Here are the interviews.









4 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,
    Very well done. It is very apparent that you put a lot of work into this assignment. You also seemed to do a good job of sampling the customer base, as your interview demographic didn't seem noticeably limited. I would share a link to my own post, but I failed to complete the assignment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,

    Great job on going out into the local community to find an entrepreneur! You clearly put a lot of thought into this assignment and it shows. I agree that it seems like Mr. Dougherty has a solid understanding of who his clientele is and what they want, as demonstrated by his busy drive-thru and 30+ years of business.

    If you want to check out my post as well, here is the link: http://marissaent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html

    Hope you're having a great semester!
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,
    Good stuff! Seems like a very unique place that I would definitely consider going to. I like the fact that you clearly went out and found a business owner (unlike many of the blogs I have seen). From your Q&A it seems like the business owner sort of just goes with the flow. Pretty neat.

    Check out my blog with Collin from NS4L
    http://alagana6444.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ryan! I really liked your view point on this! I thought that the restaurant you chose was a great choice. I think what set your interview apart was your choice of question and how that led in to the points that you were trying to make. All in all I thought this was a job well done! Check out my blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2458344027561127149#allposts

    ReplyDelete