Sunday, February 28, 2016

Half-way Reflection

The first half of this semester has been an absolute blur.  I credit a large part of that to this class.  Some of the assignments seem more daunting than others, but you can expect them to keep rolling in at a steady pace.  So now I will be sharing 3 things that will hopefully help future students who take this class.

  1. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course? The biggest thing is to stay on top of the assignments.  As a former professional procrastinator, had I approached this class like I have others in the past, I'd be doing very poorly.  As it is, my grade is doing very well right now.  The main thing you can do to help yourself is avoid procrastination.
  2. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?  The only time I've really felt like giving up was last week when I had to give money to people.  That was an inherently awkward assignment.  But I wanted to maintain a good grade, so I pushed through it.  I don't know that I'd say "tenacious" is how I would describe it.  I think "persistent" is a better word.  And the constant stream of projects is what contributed to that most.
  3. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset'?  Use your calendar.  At the beginning of the semester, I went through and wrote down every assignment and test for every class on my calendar.  That has been the biggest help to me.  It's something I haven't done before, and I'm noticing a huge difference for me!  I wish you the best of luck!
"Calendar" by Studio Curve
https://flic.kr/p/2a3hQ

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan, I really enjoyed your post. I can relate with how you described the free money assignment. It was a tougher assignment to complete and was extremely awkward. I think I may take your advice on putting all my assignments in a calendar. I've never thought to do it and it seems like it would be really helpful. Feel free to check out my Half-Way Reflection here: http://matthewent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan!
    I really enjoyed reading your half-way reflection! I know how you feel with the free money decision. I chose not to complete it because I felt too awkward but good for you for overcoming that! I too, wrote down all the dates of the assignments I would have for the semester and it is definitely the best way to stay on top of everything. Here is the link to my post if you would like to read it: http://myent3003blog.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete