Sunday, February 7, 2016
Week 5 Reading Reflection
This week, we discussed entrepreneurial opportunities. Most of this chapter was in line with my assumptions about entrepreneurship. Kuratko wrote that many entrepreneurial endeavors fail for several different reasons. Among the reasons listed were: lack of objective evaluation, little insight into the market, poor financial understanding and management, and lack of uniqueness. All of these seemed pretty logical and and made sense to me. What did surprise me was how many entrpreneurs fail because of an early entry into the market. According to Kuratko, 40% of the cases they studied failed due to a premature entry into the marketplace. That number seems very high to me! Nothing was particularly confusing in this chapter, but I would have liked a little more insight on the "premature entry" problem that appears to be plaguing entrepreneurs. Because of that, I would have made my questions to the author about that area. I would have asked him how one can know when is a good time to enter a market. I would have also asked what one can do to attempt to redeem a situation where you entered the marketplace too early. These might be covered in a later chapter, but for now they leave a large unknown to readers. This week, there was not anything I disagreed with. The only minor thing I would have liked different is more detail about avoiding entering a market too early.
Labels:
Week 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment