Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4 Reading Reflection

     This week's reading was about innovation and creatively pursuing ideas.  The chapter talked in depth about the sources of ideas and the "creative process."  This was perhaps the biggest surprise for me this week.  I didn't think there would be specific steps to a creative process, but instead it would be constantly adapting and changing.  Once I had accepted that there was indeed a generally agreed upon "creative process," the author then said that the order of the steps often change, and chaos is necessary.  This was a bit of a shocker, as I find that I am usually distracted by the chaos instead of focused.
     If I was able to ask the author any questions, I would ask him about about the steps of the creative thinking process.  That is something that is still a little fuzzy to me: how the order of the steps can change.  I would like to ask him how they can change, and which orders do you usually see swap when there are changes.
     The only thing I disagreed on this chapter was a minor thing.  In the creative process, the author stated that the most difficult of the steps was evaluation and implementation.  He said that implementing ideas takes a great amount of courage, perseverance and self-discipline.  While I agree that this is true, I think another step is potentially more difficult: background and knowledge accumulation.  If someone has the perseverance to learn all they can about the field and the product. come up with the idea, and work on it, I believe it's just the next step for them to try to implement it.  I think more people fail at the first step of gaining knowledge.  They give up early on or become overwhelmed.  To me, that is the greatest hurdle an entrepreneur will have to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment