Sunday, January 17, 2016

Bug List

I have come up with this list of 20 things that bug me.  Therefore, it shall henceforth be known as my "bug list."  I will be listing the bug, a potential cause for it, then finally a potential solution.  Some of these are serious things that bother me, while others are more in jest.

1.  Decaf coffee in the morning.
Sometimes, usually at other people's houses, I wake up to the smell of a freshly brewed cup of coffee.  However, it is sometimes decaf.  Which means it is basically just hot, bitter water.
Potential solution: Wake up earlier.  I often don't set an alarm, or I snooze through the one I did set.  being slightly less lazy could result in reaching the coffee pot first.

2.  My coffee cup goes missing.
The reason this happens is that I was blessed with a wonderful mug, that everyone likes to use.  I will get home from work, and it will be sitting on someone's dresser, halfway filled with coffee.
Potential solution: Hide the mug or lock it away in a safe.

3.  Waking up in a freezing house.
We often turn the thermostat down at night.
Potential solution: Get a programmable thermostat.

4.  Driving behind the school bus on 39th on my way to work every morning.
They keep to a strict schedule, so it is on 39th around the same time every morning.
Potential solution: I could get up a few minutes earlier or later.  Either way, I would miss the bus.  However, one of those potential solutions would most likely result in being late at work...

5.  The struggle of trying to use toothpaste near the end of the tube.
It gets tougher to get it out of the tube as you use more.
Potential solution: Roll the tube as we use it.  Or, simply give up, toss it, and get a new one.

6.  When people put empty cartons (usually milk) back in the fridge.
No one wants to take the time to crush it and throw it away.
Potential solution: Put a sign on the fridge imploring people to have some common courtesy.  Or, I could lie in wait for someone to do this.  Then, once the deed is done, jump out and taze them.  This plan could backfire many ways.

7.  When someone takes a long shower before you and uses all the hot water.
People just like long showers (including myself)
Potential solution: Be the first to get there (I'm starting to notice a trend here..).  Or, I could shut the hot water off on them, then turn it back on for my shower.

8.  Group texts
People tend to think this is an effective form of communication.
Potential solution: Apparently, you can mute conversations.  I always forget that until it's too late somehow.

9.  Overpronation.
This is something I have an issue with.  It is when your foot rolls inward when you walk, and is more significant when running.  This can lead to a myriad of issues.
As far as I know, there isn't a specific cause of it.  It is more of something you are just born with.
Potential solution: There are shoes that will help with pronation.  I recently purchased some running shoes that are designed to fix overpronation.  They have made a big difference for me, and I will definitely continue to look for this kind of shoe when I make further purchases.

10.  Leaves getting stuck in the end of metal rakes.
Leaves + metal rakes = annoyance (simple arithmetic).
Potential solution: Use the plastic rakes.  Those tend to get leaves stuck less, but they aren't as effective for wet leaves.  :(

11.  Power steering fluid leaks.
This is another issue that is near and dear to my heart.  My car leaks power steering fluid from time to time.  While I do love my car, that is not one of the more endearing features.
Potential solution: Develop a routine.  Check the fluids every so often.  This is something I should do more often anyway, and it will also help me catch when the power steering fluid begins to leak.

12.  Slow service at restaurants.
When eating out, I have two main rules that I like to see in a server: 1. Be polite. 2. Keep my drink refilled.  As long as that happens, I am usually a very generous tipper.
Potential solution: Better training.  Better organization of which tables each server gets.

13.  Broken light up frisbees.
While this might seem insignificant, it is no fun when you are playing a game of frisbee after the dark, and your brand new light up frisbee breaks and refuses to turn on randomly.
Potential solution: I am sure there is a different way it could be designed to better protect the wiring.  Frisbees were made to be thrown and caught, and I would prefer if they did so without breaking.  However, adding more protection to the wiring compartment could alter the way it flies or make it more expensive.

14.  Phone arm bands that don't fit my phone.
I got a bigger phone.  A week before this happened, I got a nice arm band for my phone when I go running.  However, the new phone didn't fit in it.
Potential solution: Get a new arm band.

15.  When one hoodie string is longer than the other.
This probably bothers me a lot more than it should.  After wearing a hoodie for a while, one string will be longer than the other, and I feel the urge to fix it immediately.
Potential solution: Stop wearing hoodies.  Wear hoodies without strings.  Or invent a hoodie that has the strings return to their natural position after being tugged on.

16.  Surprise onions.
Oddly enough, most home-cooked meals don't come with a nutrition guide or ingredient list.
Potential solution: If I know a dish will be containing onions, I can mentally prepare myself for it.  By that, I mean that I can pick them all out so I don't have to subject myself to that torture.  The alternative, is to practice eating them, so I can adjust.  But where is the fun in that?

17.  Allergies.
I live on 100 acres, surrounded my pine trees.  I am often battling a stuffy or runny nose.  Sometimes, both at the same time (someone explain that one to me).
Potential solution: Use meds to help alleviate the pressure.  Move.  Neither of those options is particularly pleasing to me, however.

18.  Losing my pants.
Before you jump to conclusions, allow me to explain myself.  I recently went to Orlando for a ball (the dancing kind).  I had all of my clothes laid out and ready to go.  Someone put them in a closet for me.  When it came time to go, I grabbed my stuff and put it in the trunk.  Once we got to Orlando, I started getting ready, only to realize that my pants were nowhere to be found.  Fortunately, I was able to borrow a pair from a friend, who just happened to be almost the same size as me.  the only issue, was that I was wearing a three piece suit, and the colors weren't exactly the same... I have included a picture so you can see this mishap for yourself.
Potential solution: Double check my clothes to make sure everything is actually there.

19.  Locking headers in Excel.  I deal with Microsoft Excel almost on a daily basis at work.  I always try to make the page pretty and organized.  However, I find that when I try to freeze frames so they always appear on the page, I often select too many or not enough of the frames.
Potential solution:  Learn a different way to freeze frames.  Excel is so multifaceted.  There are always multiple ways to do things.  I could also be very careful when selecting the frames, then double check to make sure.

20. Bug lists.  Just kidding.  ;-)
      Fighting over the toaster oven at work.
It feels like whenever I bring my own food that needs to be heated, I always go on lunch and discover that someone beat me to the toaster.  Not only are they using it, but they are using it to fully cook their turkey burger, and I have to use the microwave.
Potential solution: Just ask.  Ask my coworkers what they brought for lunch, and what time they intend to prepare it.

This assignment was more arduous that I originally anticipated it would be.  I figured, "Hey. I can think of 20 things that annoy me.  No problem-o."  However, it was actually a challenge.  In the end, I think it is a great learning experience.  Because, almost all of the things that "bug me" are things I can do something about.  That is comforting to know.  Now I just have to start crossing things off the list, instead of letting them bug me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I really like your list. I have no idea why people drink decaf coffee, it’s like drinking non-alcoholic beer, why would you do it to yourself? I think that group texts are effective as long as you keep it relevant. Solution? For every irrelevant text, the person has to pay $1. This assignment turned out to be more challenging that I thought too, but thanks to this list I now how to solve those little problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can’t relate completely to the coffee problems, I can completely relate to the coffee obsession. 1-2 would really bug me too if it happened! No. 5, the struggle about toothpaste, oh man, I listed it as one of my problems as well. No. 8, about group texts, dude, I’m in so many but I mute them all and I never look back. A lot of your “bugs” seem like every day problems, and I like your humorous approach to them. And while I can’t relate to your bug of losing pants, I can relate to arm bands not fitting, but in a different way. My arm is too small.. so they never fit right. Here’s a link to my bug list, if you wanted to compare: http://youreamuggle.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-20-things-that-made-my-bug-list.html

    ReplyDelete